Get a sick note for work

The NHS provides sickness certification only after seven continuous days of illness. If you need a sick note to cover this period of sickness you should complete a Self-Certification (SC2) form which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Please contact the GP surgery as you normally would for a routine appointment as it may be necessary to arrange to discuss your request with a GP.

If you’re off for more than seven days
If you’re off work sick for more than seven days, your employer will usually ask you to get a fit note from your doctor.

The note can say that:

you are ‘not fit for work’

you ‘may be fit for work’

The seven days include days that you don’t normally work. So when you work out how long you’ve been off sick, include weekends and bank holidays.

You do not have to pay for a fit note if you’re off sick for more than seven days.

No. You do not need to see your GP again to be ‘signed back to work’.

Request a fit note

If you need a fit note select the link below.

If you’re getting hospital treatment, ask for one from the doctor at your hospital.

Self-certification forms

When you go back to work you may need to fill in a self-certification form.

This includes things like:

  • details about your sickness or illness
  • the date your sickness started
  • the date your sickness ended

These dates may include days you do not normally work, for example a weekend or bank holiday.

Some employers have their own self-certification form. If yours does not, use HMRC: Employees Statement of Sickness on GOV.UK.


You may have to pay if you get a fit note when you’re off sick for seven days or less. To find out more, please ask at reception or go to the NHS website guidance on fit notes.